The best light truck tires are tires that can qualify to be called best for any light truck vehicle or any similar type of vehicle. These best light truck tires are best in terms of various factors including performance, safety, comfort, and other parameters that may vary from person to person, and your vehicle and where you plan to drive it – on-roads or off-roads.
In the guide below we take a look at our best choices for mid-size and full-size pickup trucks, SUVs, and vans. I will also cover some additional buying considerations that are important if you are looking to purchase new light truck tires on sale.
Light-truck tires are extremely important to keep in good condition if you own one of these vehicles, especially since they bear a great deal of weight when carrying cargo or passengers. If you neglect your truck tires either by overloading them or not rotating them often enough, you could be putting yourself and others in danger. That’s why it’s best to take care of these parts whenever possible.
This list will offer some options that might make the decision-making process much easier.
Best Light Truck Tires: List of the Top 10
1. Michelin Defender LTX M/S
The best off-road tire that’s also great on the highways. It’s a tough call between this best tire for trucks and the equivalent Bridgestone offering, but this truck tire is slightly superior in my opinion.
Michelin Defender LTX M/S light truck tire offers excellent performance both on dry roads as well as on wet surfaces. The tread design allows water to be dispersed quite rapidly so you don’t have to worry about hydroplaning during heavy rainstorms. The sidewalls are strong enough to resist damage from sharp objects which are likely if you are out of the city or nature trails often.
From the excellent on-road performance to its tough construction, the Defender LTX is arguably the most polished light-truck tire to date. On the street and highway, this tire will provide you with excellent traction on dry and wet surfaces, and outstanding highway stability with and without a large trailer attached.
Moreover, the Defender LTX is very comfortable over bumps and quiet on the highway. It also comes with an outstanding 70,000-mile treadwear warranty, and cut- and -chip resistant casing for driving over hardpacked surfaces.
The only area where I would like improvement is snow traction, which is only average.
- Perfect for heavy-duty tasks
- Unusual in dry and wet conditions
- Quick and responsive braking
- Comes at a cost
2. Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus
The best light truck tire with best in class water evacuation and anti-aquaplaning features.
This light truck tire features Bridgestone’s innovative Alenza Technology that ensures best-in-class comfort, stability, and handling. In fact, the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus best light truck tire provides the best performance in wet conditions thanks to its special tread pattern featuring two types of grooves – circumferential grooves for quick water evacuation as well as lateral grooves for enhanced water movement away from the tire’s contact patch.
Its symmetric tread pattern helps in reducing noise levels over long distances. Bridgestone also includes a massive 80,000-mile tread warranty on this tire as well. Overall, this model provides durable and long-lasting performance.
- Performs very well in year-round weather conditions
- Responsive steering
- Comfortable ride
- Strong and durable tire
- 80,000-mile warranty
- Braking on ice gas has been reported by some drivers
3. Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar
Another best-selling light truck tire suitable for both on-road and off-road use.
This best-selling best light truck tire features a unique combination of three key technologies – i.e., DuPont Kevlar (for increased puncture resistance), Multi-Tread (for best in class handling on all surfaces), and a 3D Sipe technology (for best in class traction under all conditions).
To add further, on Unpacked Snow its traction is probably the best in the all-season category, thanks to the 3PMSF rating. Its ride quality is smooth on most surfaces. On the other hand, its traction even over wet surfaces is superb. Also, Goodyear provides a 60,000-mile tread-wear warranty on Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar.
- Best-in-class 60,000-mile tread-wear warranty
- Excellent over unpacked snow
- Outstanding traction on every slippery surface
- Wonderful performance on the road
- Noisy on the highway
4. Continental CrossContact LX25 with EcoPlus+ Technology
This light truck tire has been rigorously tested for best performance on off-road adventures.
One of the best and most popular best light truck tires on the market today – and the best alternative to the high-priced Goodyear Wrangler AT (that costs much more!). Continental CrossContact LX25 features an all-new silica-based EcoPlus+ compound that provides better-wet weather traction while also improving wear resistance – i.e., it’s 50% more durable than regular tires! In addition, this best-selling best light truck tire also offers excellent handling on pavement thanks to its outstanding tread design.
- Symmetric track design for grip around corners
- Impressive snow traction
- Great controlling response and smooth ride
- Durable construction
- Better track life
5. General Grabber HTS 60
This light truck tire offers best-in-class traction all year round.
This best-selling best light truck tire provides excellent grip on wet roads thanks to its tread pattern with deep grooves and water evacuation channels. It’s also highly capable of resisting hydroplaning, which can be a lifesaver if you live in an area where heavy rainfall is common.
Furthermore, the General Grabber HTS 60 features a special noise-reducing design so it doesn’t sound too loud when you’re cruising down the highway at high speeds. Though there have been complaints regarding durability issues – most notably reports of sidewall cracks after just 10,000 miles or so.
- Heavy-duty versions are outstanding for towing
- Quiet and comfortable
- Excellent performance in dry and wet conditions
- Reasonable price
- Heavy-duty versions are not very good in the rain
6. Cooper Discoverer A/T3 Four Season Rated – Best Light Truck Winter Tires
When you’re looking for best-selling best light truck tires that are suitable for wet roads, look no further than the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 Four Season rated. It provides best-in-class performance in all weather conditions, including heavy snow and flooding without sacrificing stability or braking distance.
This tire is best used during spring/fall seasons when there’s a mix of rain and snow on the roads. So if you live in an area with highly changeable weather, this is probably the best light truck tire you can get. That said, it should be noted that this model doesn’t come cheap – but you certainly get what you pay for!
- 3PMSF rating
- Impressive off-road traction
- 65,000 Miles treadwear warranty
- Outstanding performance in snow
- Durable construction
- Noisy on the highway
7. Kumho Road Venture AT KL51
This best-selling light truck tire comes with excellent durability at an affordable price point.
The best cheap alternative to popular all-season best light truck tires like the Michelin LTX M/S that costs much more! This best-selling best light truck tire provides outstanding road grip in wet or dry conditions thanks to its deep tread blocks and sipes (i.e., cuts on the tire’s surface). It also features a special protection belt below the surface of the tire – making it highly resistant against punctures and other forms of damage.
In fact, the Kumho Road Venture AT KL51 light truck tire has been tested to provide best-in-class durability – i.e., 50% more mileage than most other best light truck tires you can find out there!
- Outstanding stability and responsiveness
- Very good Wet traction
- Comfortable and quiet
- Very good 60,000-mile treadwear warranty
- Reasonable price
- Not the best choice for towing huge trailers
8. Wrangler DuraTrac
The Wrangler DuraTrac has been designed for serious off-road use – but don’t be intimidated by your rugged appearance since you’ll also receive best-in-class wet traction and great ride comfort on the road.
This rugged tire will give you superior performance in mud, rocks, dirt roads, and other demanding conditions thanks to its aggressive tread design and best-in-class traction. It provides great flex on rocks and loose surfaces, but also offers impressive stability when driving through deep water or traversing bumpy terrain.
On the negative side, it’s not nearly as quiet as road tires – which is understandable due to its aggressive tread pattern – and mileage will suffer as a result of increased rolling resistance. In addition, this tire suffers from a shorter 70,000 miles warranty that some best-selling light truck tires have these days.
9. Cooper Discoverer A/T3
The best-selling light truck tire available today, the Cooper Discoverer A/T3 combines great road manners with all-terrain capabilities – making it an excellent compromise between aggressive mud tires and smooth highway tires.
You can expect to experience reliable traction in virtually all weather conditions, including minor off-road driving, thanks to its three wide circumferential grooves that are able to push water out from under the tread blocks so you get maximum contact with the ground even when driving through deep pudd.
It also features superb acceleration on dry surfaces, excellent handling, comfortable ride due to its good flex characteristics, and best-in-class 70,000 miles tread life.
However, keep in mind that it’s not nearly as quiet or fuel-efficient as other best-selling light truck tires. Also, the overall performance is slightly compromised when driving through sharp turns at high speeds.
10. Nitto Trail Grappler M/T
This best-selling best light truck tire features an aggressive tread pattern with large chunky lugs – making it highly capable of tackling tough terrains such as jagged rocks and dirt. In addition, it also offers outstanding durability at an affordable price thanks to its stiff sidewall.
The Trail Grappler has a thick all-season and all-terrain tread compound that adds cushioning on rough surfaces and improves overall puncture resistance when off-roading. Moreover, Nitto has used the most advanced sound analysis techniques and equipment to remove road noise both on and off the road. Other tire owners have consistently praised this tire for its silence.
What to look for when choosing a set of tires for your light truck?
As a light truck owner, you might be worried about the best tires for your vehicle. There are a lot of choices available in the market today and choosing the best set can be a little complicated. But if you know what to look for, it should not be that difficult at all. Here are some things to consider when buying a new set of best light truck tires:
1) Size – You need to check first on the size of your current tires as well as those listed on the manufacturer’s manual. In most cases, light trucks have 16″ – 22″ wheels or bigger so take note that there may also have different tire sizes from those being offered in the marketplace. If you’re sure about this detail, simply choose the best light truck tires that are compatible with your vehicle.
2) Aspect Ratio – Another important factor to consider when buying the best light truck tires is the aspect ratio. This refers to the height of a tire in proportion to its width. A bigger number means it’s taller while a smaller number means it’s shorter. Without this knowledge, you might end up getting the best light truck tires whose heights don’t suit your vehicle or show too much gap when fitted. So make sure you check on this detail before purchasing the best light truck tires.
3) Tread Pattern – Look for the best light truck tires that have deep treads which are more effective in preventing hydroplaning and slippage compared to shallow ones. You can also look into the best light truck tires that are made up of the best tread compounds which are rubbers or polymers that are mixed with carbon and silica among other things. This is the part where the best light truck tires would come in different types according to their intended use.
4) Load Index – This feature will help you determine how much weight best light truck tires can carry safely. Your manual should state the load index number for your vehicle but if it’s not available, simply look at the best light truck tires with higher numbers that indicate the best load index ratings.
5) Speed Rating – When driving at higher speeds, best light truck tires with lower speed rating tire codes tend to wear out rapidly compared to those rated 80 mph and above. So take note of this detail as well.
6) Traction – best light truck tires that have the best traction can prevent your vehicle from slipping and sliding during wet weather or when you need to drive on unpaved roads, best light truck tires like A/T (All-Terrain), M+S ( Mud and Snow) and OTR (Off the road) which provides the best traction against rocks, soil and snow are best for this purpose.
7) Tread Wear – The tread wear of best light truck tires is measured using its tread wear indicator bars found on the tire’s sidewall. If you see more than 4 bars, it means the best light truck tires have a high treadwear so expect them to last longer.
8) Construction – There are two types of best light truck tires in the market today, best light truck tires that are made using steel belts and the best light truck tires that have nylon or polyester webbing. This construction material will help you determine which one is best suited for your vehicle.
9) Cost – Last but not least when choosing the best light truck tires is by considering its cost. You may find a lot of best light truck tires priced at a lower amount but they might not be worth it so better invest in the best light truck tires with higher price tags since these types tend to give long-lasting service compared to cheaper ones.
10) Durability – All things considered, durability matters the most when buying the best light truck tires. So choose the best tire brand names that have been around for a long time and the best light truck tires that are made from the best materials. This way, you ensure best light truck tires will not fail once fitted to your vehicle.
So those are the top 10 best light truck tires available in the market for 2022 as per my own personal preference and opinion based on my research and experience with the best tire brands.
Although this list may change depending on customers’ preferences and feedback, I hope the information above helps you come up with the best light truck tires that suit your needs and budget. You will find that Michelin LTX matches the requirements of your vehicle. It comes with the required load index and offers a comfortable ride. You are, however, free to choose.
Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section below and let me know if I missed out on any candidate for the best light truck tires list.
My name is Nick, and I am a car mechanic from Wichita, Kansas. And I drive a 1967 Chevrolet Impala.