The Michelin LTX AT2 On-/Off-Road All-Terrain light truck tire was developed to meet the needs of pickup, van, and SUV drivers. It was designed to provide even wear, low noise, and good fuel efficiency, even in demanding commercial applications while delivering the year-round traction and durability expected from rugged off-road tires without forsaking the on-road comfort and handling expected of a Michelin tire.
The LTX AT2 features an advanced light truck tread rubber compound molded into a tread block tread design featuring Michelin Biting Edge that further enhances traction on dirt, mud, gravel, wet grass, and snow. Michelin’s Advanced Max Construction results in a unique tire footprint shape that allows for long-lasting tire, even treadwear while their Comfort Control Technology uses computer-optimized tread design and precision manufacturing to reduce vibrations and road noise to deliver a comfortable ride. The tire’s internal structure includes two or three steel belts depending on the tire’s Load and manufacturing location to enhance durability and tread puncture resistance.
Depending on the load range (P-metric or LT-metric), the internal construction of this tire features either two or three steel belts which is a good thing as compared to tires of a similar category.
Let’s dig into this super amazing tire and choose the best one.
Features of the Michelin LTX AT2
The manufacturer utilized an advanced truck rubber compound designed to work in warmer and colder weather conditions. The rubber is molded into an independent tread block design, which features Michelin Biting Edges for better traction in dirt, mud, gravel, wet grass, and snow.
The LTX A/T2 features the Advanced Max Touch Construction, which a long-lasting performance. Moreover, the Comfort Control Technology with computer-optimized design takes care of reducing vibrations and noise for a comfortable ride to its driver.
According to studies, the tire lasts 35% longer when driven on gravel than two of the leading competitors of a similar category.
It provides excellent all-season traction, as it uses circumferential grooves that evacuate water from the tread to boost wet grip.
Michelin also prides itself on its “Total Performance” pledge, with a commitment to have its tires perform just as well when worn or damaged as when new.
Reflection of the Maintenance Indicators
The narrow rubber bars of this tire become flush with the surface of the tread when the depth reaches 2/32-inch. That’s the minimum legal depth for secure wet traction. However, one might want to replace the tires sooner, since they will already have less snow and off-road traction and that is a good decision to make altogether.
The Michelin LTX A/T2 is one of the most durable all-terrain tires on the market. Owners are very satisfied with the tread life, and Michelin provides an outstanding warranty of 60,000-miles on all sizes. Didn’t the warranty aspect just leave you content?
- Strong braking on dry surfaces
- Excellent handling and braking in the rain for an all-terrain tire
- Very good hydroplaning resistance
- Very smooth and quiet ride for an all-terrain tire
- Exceptional stability and traction on hardpacked surfaces, such as dirt and gravel
- Good traction and stability on loose sand
- Available in LT-metric sizes for larger trucks and SUVs, or for towing very large trailers
- Best tread life in the category, combined with an outstanding 60,000-mile treadwear warranty
- Snow traction is below average for the category
- Definitely not the best choice for deep mud
- Far from the best option for rock crawling in the category
- Radial car tire for Grand Touring designed for All-Season use; provides exceptional traction in severe snow conditions
- Directional tread pattern evacuates water from the contact patch, giving optimum traction in wet driving conditions
- V-Formation tread design distributes force evenly for smooth and consistent wear; 3D SipeLock technology provides up to one year of additional treadlife compared to leading competitors
- Stops up to 16 feet shorter than four leading competitors on dry pavement thanks to the V-Ramps on the tread block edges which optimize road contact
- 60,000 Miles Manufacturer's Treadwear Limited Warranty; 6 Year Standard Limited Warranty; 215/55R17 94V
The response of Michelin LTX to Dry Surfaces
The LTX AT2 is very good on-road tires with responsive steering as compared to tires of a similar category. And this is what makes the whole driving experience an excellent one.
The level of longitudinal traction it offers is simply outstanding for an all-terrain tire. The pickup truck or SUV will accelerate without wheel spin, and the braking distances will be very short for the category.
The tire also feels stable on the highway and mostly, drivers don’t notice that the Michelin LTX is an all-season tire. Even the grip cornering for the tire is exceptionally well.
The response of Michelin LTX AT2 to Wet and Slippery Roads
This model is among the best all-terrain tires for wet or slippery conditions. Apart from all the exceptional aspects that it covers, it doesn’t fail to lose its responsiveness and this is what assures the driver a comfortable and smooth ride.
The LTX handles rain quite well and its grip levels are among the best as compared to its main competitors of all-terrain tires. The hydroplaning resistance is also very good and further enhances stability in heavy rain.
The response of LTX AT2 to Snowy conditions/surfaces
The Michelin LTX A/T2 lacks longitudinal traction, especially when braking, and doesn’t handle particularly well. Real winter tires are highly recommended for people that live in areas with harsh wintry conditions.
Overall, the tire is geared towards on-road driving. Conversely, its main competitors are much more aggressive with the tread designs that they hold.
Final Thoughts and Recommendations
All car enthusiasts are highly recommended that they get through with the key specifications offered by a particular tire and then choose the best one for their pickup truck, crossover, or SUV.
Overall, the Michelin LTX AT2 is an exceptionally well tire. Apart from the advantages that it provides its driver, it also has certain disadvantages, which literally count to minimal and assure the driver a super comfortable and smooth ride.