Sand tires have a unique design that helps SUVs or trucks to navigate on the sandiest areas. You are here because you were searching for the best sand tires available out there. With that said, we have collected all the information that we could and prepared this list of the best tires for sand driving that you can buy.
Nowadays new products and new technology are being developed every day and enthusiastic drivers like you love the adventurous lifestyle and want to explore the wilderness on all kinds of terrain. And among that sand is the most popular and demanding terrain.
Of course, anybody can have a lot of fun on the sand but with the right vehicle along with the right set of sand tires as well. When it comes to buying sand tires, it is important that you know what you want, and what products to look for.
Don’t worry at all because, in this article, you will find all the detailed information you need like about the product, its features, and much more. So, let’s get down to the business and start our list of best tires for sand.
Top 10 Best Tires for Sand
Considering the fact that this is an article about the best tires for sand driving we have placed BFGoodrich Baja T/A KR2 at first because it is a tire that is not designed for on-road use.
Apparently, the Baja KR2 offers the best sand traction and reduced chances of sinking among any other sand tire. Moreover, BFGoodrich especially designed this tire Dakar Rally team, to offer them the most reliable performance on the sand.
Its tread pattern consists of large blocks with no siping. This tire is certainly designed for being one of the best tires for sand driving only.
- Tough and durable
- Excellent resistance to sinking
- Outstanding traction in the sand
- Can’t be used on the road
- Featuring race-proven CoreGard Technology to take on the toughest road hazards with confidence.
- Derived from the top classes of the BFGoodrich race-winning Baja T/A KR2 tire line.
- Rejects stone retention & provides extra tread cleanout protection against stone drilling.
- Raised bars in the shoulder tread area that help to release compacted mud for enhanced traction in muddy and soft soil conditions.
- Please note: Tire sizes vary by machine please check your current tire and wheel size before ordering.
The Nitto Dune Grappler is the best option on the market for those who want a special sand tire that will work on the pavement as well. Because of the unique flamed tread block, it has outstanding traction in the sand.
Meanwhile, being one of the best sand tires its slim, flat tread design provides better high-speed stability to the driver as well. On the other hand, three-ply sidewall design and sidewall lugs are already there to help create a puncture-resistant surface.
When driving at urban speeds it doesn’t make noise but at highway speeds, you may hear a little noise. Overall, Nitto Dune Grappler proves to be one of the best sand tires which is also useful for mud-terrain driving, and rock crawling as well.
- Quiet for a desert-terrain tire
- Resistant to sinking
- Tough construction
- Excellent sand traction
- Wet traction is far from good
- High void ratio efficiently clears mud and dirt from the tread for excellent traction in rough terrain
- High-strength steel belt tread package for durability
- Three-ply polyester sidewall construction helps protect against punctures
- Two sidewall designs on each tire, so you can choose “lizard skin lugs or plain lugs
- Fit type: Universal Fit
In the off-road community, Mickey Thompson is a well-known name. They are known for producing high-quality tires that are proven to work effectively on almost any type of terrain.
And Baja ATies P3 is their all-terrain tire with “dune” capabilities. Being an all-terrain tire and having dune capabilities we have given Baja ATZ P3 third position in our list of best tires for sand driving.
This sand tire is tough enough to be deflated almost fully because of the Silica-reinforced compound present with cut-chip resistance and Powerplay 3-Ply sidewall construction that is there to protect the sidewalls. Moreover, due to its Deep aggressive shoulder SideBiters and scalloped shoulder lugs, the Baja ATZ P3 by Mickey Thomson is able to provide outstanding traction to the driver on other off-road surfaces, such as rocks and mud.
- Surprisingly useful on the road
- Tough and durable (45,000-mile treadwear warranty)
- Excellent sand traction and resistance to sinking
- Unusable in the snow
- New compound with improved cut and chip protection
- Deep, aggressive side biters for improved protection
- Multi-draft grooves for self-cleaning and improved wear
- PowerPly 3-ply sidewall construction
Falken Wildpeak AT3W is another good name in our list of best tires for sand driving and an outstanding tire for off-road enthusiasts. Also, it is an excellent all-terrain tire that gives ample traction on every kind of terrain all because of the aggressive tread pattern with deep grooves.
To add further, due to its Outer Apex Sidewall construction which is tough it can be deflated and used in very deep sand without having to worry about sinking. On the other hand, the Heat Diffuser Technology will take care of hot summer days. Consequently improving the overall stability.
Additionally, its performance is quite good on both wet as well as icy surfaces as it has a 3PMSF rating. Although the ride quality is good, the tread growl is noticeable.
- Excellent in the snow
- Usable on other slippery surfaces
- Good on-road stability
- Very good sand performance
- Noise on the highway
Another tire name from BFGoodrich in our list of best sand tires. Meanwhile, the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tire is among the most popular all-terrain tires on the market right now.
BFGoodrich holds the experience to design the best tires for sand driving for the Dakar Rally team, thus their all-terrain tire models can also be very useful for sand driving as well. Its overall off-road traction is also brilliant.
Besides, this tire makes you feel safe while driving on the road as well which is a bonus point for an off-road-focused tire. Bothe on dry and wet surfaces, its handling, traction, and gripping are good enough. And the KO2 tire works in light snow as well because it has the 3PMSF rating.
- Very good on-road traction
- Extremely durable and strong
- 50,000-mile treadwear warranty
- Sidewall Armor aids in deflating
- Outstanding off-road abilities
- Far from the quietest all-terrain tire
- CoreGard Technology: Tougher Sidewall Rubber: Split & bruise resistant sidewall rubber, derived from BFGoodrich's race proven Baja T/AKR2 tire. Thicker, Extended Shoulder Rubber: Increased rubber thickness, extending down the sidewall to protect more of the critical sidewall failure zone. Advanced Deflection Design: Computer predicted object path design deflects protruding objects from snagging & splitting the sidewall.
- Specially formulated tread rubber: Optimally blended to reduce chip and tear for superior gravel road endurance. Advanced tire footprint shape: results in more evenly distributed stress, for longer more uniform wear. Interlocking Tread Design: provide increased tread block stability, for more even wear over the long haul Stone Ejectors: Rejects stone retention & provides extra tread cleanout protection against stone drilling.
- Upper Sidewall Traction Bars: Protruding sidewall rubber blocks that provide increased mud, snow & rock traction, especially in aired-down driving situations. Mud-Phobic Bars: Raised bars in the shoulder tread area that helps to release compacted mud for enhanced traction in muddy and soft soil conditions.
- Serrated Shoulder Design: Staggered shoulder blocks that provide greater maneuverability in soft soil and deep snow conditions. Locking 3-D Sipes: 3-D active sipe technology, that provides more biting edges for significantly increased snow traction. 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake: Exceeds Rubber Manufacturer Association (RMA) Severe Snow Traction requirements.
The Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar by Goodyear is known for its outstanding off-road traction. This is also one of the best all-terrain tires that delivers solid performance over hardpacked surfaces, mud terrain as well as rocks.
Moreover, it has tough construction because it utilizes Durawall Technology in the sidewalls and the long-wearing specialized rubber tread compound which is also responsible for deflating this tire almost like a balloon. Thus improving the traction and enabling you to drive over sand without sinking.
The Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar performs very well on the highway as well. However, its ride quality is smooth on most surfaces but still, the tread growl can be heard easily.
- Best-in-class 60,000-mile treadwear warranty
- Surprisingly good on the road
- Usable in light snow
- Tough construction aids deflating
- Usable on every off-road surface
- Not the best tread pattern for sand driving
- Open tread pattern helps the tire become more versatile off the road as it can handle wet and muddy conditions
- Special tread compound and biting edges enhance its grip on the road especially during snow and rain
- Twin, high-tensile belts reinforced by a layer of DuPont Kevlar to enhance strength and comfort
- Fit type: Vehicle Specific
- Load capacity: 1700 pounds
Continental TerrainContact A/T is a very good all-terrain tire that will work perfectly on the highway. In other words, its primary focus is to provide excellent on-road performance. But this tire can also be used for sand driving as well, thanks to its large contact patch. That’s why we have placed it in our list of best tires for sand driving.
If you go off-road rarely then Continental TerrainContact A/T is gonna serve quite well. But for mud driving or rock crawling it gonna suffer a little bit. However, it is one of the best options for on the road or highway driving.
If we talk about the steering, it feels linear. And the handling and highway stability are also very good. Additionally, it offers ample traction and grip on dry and wet surfaces and comes with a 60,000-mile treadwear warranty.
- Best-in-class 60,000-mile treadwear warranty
- Excellent on-road performance
- Very good for sand driving
- Not the best choice for mud terrain or rocks
- Decrease Rolling Resistance
- Model : 15506910000
- Made in United States
- Package Dimensions : 33.0" L x 33.0" W x 11.0" H
- Fit type: Universal Fit
It is the second tire from Mickey Thomson in our list of best tires for sand driving. But Deegan 38 has a slightly less aggressive tread pattern compared to the Baja ATZ P3.
Also, the Deegan 38 does not have the same sinking resistance and can not be deflated as much without causing any damage, but it is still very competitive in the segment. Moreover, because of its Angled shoulder scallops and two-pitch SideBite, it delivers outstanding performance on other off-road surfaces.
Apart from this, its silica-reinforced compound helps the tire to function on damp roads. Being among the best sand tires its on-road traction and gripping are very good along with excellent hydroplaning resistance.
- Very good on the road
- Excellent for off-roading
- Usable in the sand
- Not very useful in the snow
- Made in United States
- Package Height: 31.93"
- Package Length: 31.93"
- Package Width: 10.9"
Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus grabs the number 9 spot in our list of best sand tires. Although it is a highway tire, it gives a very nice performance for sand driving as well. Like most of the Pirelli’s tires the Scorpion All Terrain Plus is very responsive.
Additionally, on wet surfaces, it performs impressively. It makes the tire feel stable through the corners besides this it has ample traction to offer. Because of its large contact patch and tough construction, it can be used as a tire for sand driving.
Along with all these, on snowy surfaces, its traction is quite good as well. Its ride quality is pretty nice but over rough surfaces, it can be noisy sometimes.
The off-road performance of the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus is fine but taking it into deep mud or over large rocks isn’t a good idea as it will suffer a bit there. Although the tread life is very good, the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus comes with a 50,000-mile treadwear warranty.
- Quiet and comfortable
- Very good on-road performance
- Usable for sand driving
- Not the best for mud-terrain
- On/Off road all terrain tire that delivers an aggressive look for trucks and SUVs
- Made in Brazil
- Package Dimensions : 33.0" L x 10.83" W x 33.0" H
- The package weight is 46.96 Pounds
- Fit type: Universal Fit
At last but not least, in our list of best tires for sand driving, we have Defender LTX M/S tire by Michelin. If you use your SUV or truck on packed and shallow sand, then the Defender LTX M/S will work there adequately.
In general, it is an ideal tire for those who tow large trailers with their SUVs and is among the best all-season SUV tires as well. To add further, it can be used on dirt and gravel as well because the Defender is made of a chip-resistant EverTread compound which is very tough.
Apart from these, it provides excellent gripping, traction, and braking performance that works amazingly well both in dry and wet conditions. Meanwhile, the Michelin Defender LTX comes with a 70,000-mile treadwear warranty for T- H & V-Speed Rated and 50,000-miles for W-Speed rated models.
- Quiet and comfortable
- Can be used for towing and hauling
- Excellent dry handling in warm and cold conditions
- Outstanding wet traction
- Not the best option for harsh wintry conditions
- Radial car tire for Light Trucks, SUVs and Crossovers designed for All-Season use; provides exceptional grip for shorter braking distances on wet roads
- Long-lasting and durable tread life thanks to the Michelin EverTread Compound, giving optimum traction no matter the season
- Eco-Friendly design features Michelin MaxTouch Construction to save up to 65 gallons of fuel over the life of the tire when compared to a leading competitor competitive tire
- This durable tire delivers 10% more longevity in severe conditions compared to the Michelin LTX M/S2
- 70,000 Miles Manufacturer's Treadwear Limited Warranty; 6 Year Standard Limited Warranty; 245/55R19 103H
Our list of the best tires for sand driving ends here. By going through this list you may have noticed that we have included tires that are affordable, long-lasting, tough, and durable. And many of them are also all-terrain tires and all-season tires.
We included a variety of on-road and off-road all-terrain sand tires because an underinflated on-road tires will always perform better in the sand in comparison to overinflated off-road tires.
We have done thorough research to prepare this list of the best sand tires and put together the top 10 names in that. Because here at TopTireReviews we are bound to provide you a genuine and honest review and information about the products.
We hope our list of Top 10 best tires for sand driving will help you to eventually decide on an ideal sand tire to equip in your vehicle.
Please feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section below.